Monday 21 October 2013

2010 by Sound Sultan

Its been 3 years since I first heard the song 2010 by Sound Sultan. I loved it from the first verse, and when MI came on hook to rap I was hooked! The flow, the beat, the words, the tune! I was captivated hook, line and sinker! That's not what this post is about though, you see, the song had a purpose and a theme. The electricity supply in Nigeria. The National Electric Power Authority established in 1972 with the merging of the Electricity Corporation of Nigeria and the Niger Dam Authority. It might have been good at inception, as most programmes conceived of in the 60s and 70s were wont to be. However, for as long as I can remember and growing up in the 90s it was a case of 'Never Expect Power Always'.

The only time I remember having light for a full day in my youth was during the Olympics '97 when Nigeria won. I'm sure we all have stories of doing something important, watching an interesting show, and NEPA striking! The worst was being half bitten to death because of mosquitoes in the dead of the night due to the heat, and the noisy hum of those lucky enough to have generators. Yes, NEPA made all our lives a misery, didn't matter how rich or poor you were, whether an ordinary white/blue collar worked or business owners. NEPA was hell. I recently learned that the only reason we don't drink fresh milk like they do in other developed nations is because it doesn't keep for long. I wonder why...hmmm

Three years down the line from the release of Sound Sultan's '2010', power supply in Nigeria remains epileptic. The moniker has changed however, NEPA has now become PHCN- Power Holding Corporation of Nigeria, the owners, well at least some, have changed. The workers have also changed, not a few of them pushed out by the new administration, with no pension or severance pay. Electricity supply in Nigeria remains hampered in a lot of places, exceptions are Aso Rock (figures) and Governor's lodges across the country.

Every single one of our leaders have promised improved power supply and every one of our leaders have lied. They lied about the probes to combat and improve the situation, they lied about the investigative committees and they keep on lying. The newest scandal is the N255 million bulletproof cars for the Aviation Minister. As more and more details about the kickbacks are released the Nigerian situation is even more painful. However, that's a post for another day.

In other personal news although we have had power for the past 4 hours. PHCN has just flexed their muscle, which is very unfortunate as I was just enjoying a bowl of piping hot efo. As the sweat runs down my face in rivulets and soaks my shirt I know I'll eventually get up to put on a cooler and lighter outfit. I also know that there is hope for Nigeria because its citizens like me, tired of suffering under the sweltering and man made heat will cast aside our 'soaked with suffering' garments and put on something more comfortable. An outfit that looks good and most importantly fits. That day I hope we are not merciful to the 'cast aside garments of bondage'. That day is coming soon.

You see, Sound Sultan didn't just write a song; he wrote a blueprint manifesto. God willing very soon we will use '2010' as a guide to see how far we have come. At the moment however, we still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment